Let’s make another delicious Texas taco! Check out how chef Fernando Herrera from The Fischer & Wieser Culinary Adventure Cooking School in Fredericksburg makes gulf shrimp tacos. Make sure to visit Fischer & Wieser in Fredericksburg, not only are they making delicious sauces for your at home tacos, they also have a winery. Add them to your travel list when you plan your trip to Texas!
RECIPE FOR A GULF SHRIMP TACO
- 6 corn tortillas
- Pickled onions
- Fried shrimp
- F&W Salsa Verde Ranchera
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
PICKLED ONIONS & PEPPERS
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 habaneros (remove seeds) or other peppers
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup fried chilis (ancho, guajillo, morita, arbol, pasilla)
- 2 cups peanut oil
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup grapeseed oil or pumpkin seed oil
- 1 pot with boiling water
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 lb fresh gulf shrimp, peeled and butterflied
- 1 cup panko or cornmeal
- 2 cups peanut oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
HOW TO MAKE GULF SHRIMP TACOS
- Start by frying the chilis quickly at 350°F. Once all chilis are fried, place them in a bowl with hot water and cover tight. Let them soak for 20 minutes.
- In a food processor, place the egg yolks, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper and pulse until everything is well blended.
- Place the chilis in the food processor and blend again until you have a smooth paste.
- With the food processor on a low setting, pour the oil from frying your chilis and blend until all the oil is gone.
- Transfer to serving bowl.
FRIED SHRIMP STEPS
- Begin by putting the peanut oil in a deep frying pan on low heat to warm it up.
- While oil warms, get your table ready to batter the shrimp.
- In this step you will need 3 separate bowls. In one, mix the egg, water or milk and set aside. In another, add the flour. In the last, add panko. Arrange the bowls in the following order: all-purpose flour, then egg and water mixture, then panko. Lightly coat all shrimp with all-purpose flour and shake off any excess flour, then coat with egg mixture and finally coat with panko, laying each shrimp flat on a plate (make sure they don’t touch each other).
- Bring your oil to 350°F and fry shrimp for about 3 minutes or until panko is golden brown.
- Do not over cover your pan when frying.
PICKLED ONIONS & PEPPERS STEPS
- Place all ingredients in a glass bowl or a jar and let them rest for one hour or longer if possible (the longer they rest the better they’ll be).
- Warm up the tortillas in a comal, place 3 shrimp in each tortilla, drizzle with aioli and salsa verde.
- Garnish with pickled red onion and cilantro leaves.
MAKES 3 SERVINGS